Friday 12 February 2016

You can be heroes for more than one day

I was sadden to hear of the passing of Dave Bowie, he was a music hero of mine from my 70’s childhood. I can recall with clarity his performances on Top of the Pops and playing his 12” records on my dad's old stacking HiFi system.

​How he created this heartfelt memory, was partly due to his music, but more so the way he made me feel. He facilitated my passion for the Glam Rock era, he inspired my interest for flared trousers, outlandish hairstyles and reinforced my love of a diverse range of music. I’m sure his intention was to entertain a nation but he did far more than that.
Picture
Knowingly or not, he orchestrated my childhood memories by creating various personas that the masses wanted to copy. He created role models that people could aspire to be, it help them escape their mundane existence. This was never a physical transformation but he did create emotionally satisfaction thus he will be remembered for the way he made people feel.

People wanted to be just like him, copying his dress, his makeup but also his dreams. They wanted to own his success for themselves and they strived for people to follow them, in the way they followed him. He created a lifestyle for others to aspire to and his music was just a tool to get there.

I believe that the memory of a feeling is far more powerful that what someone gives you. Dave Bowie was an artist just like many others, but what made him so special was how he constantly reinvented himself to appeal in a fresh and exciting way. He gave a message that if you reach your pinnacle and accepted the prize, you could still invent a new summit to chase. He inspired a nation to explore an emotional journey which I applaud. 


http://www.changingoutcomes.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment