Monday 29 February 2016

Goal is a hollow word

I personally, am not a fan of the words “goal” or “objective” which are bantered around so freely without any true meaning. I find the words hollow and sterile because they are words without emotion. I prefer to focus more emotional charged words that get your pulse racing and a smile on your face, words such as “passion” or “desire”, imaginative words like “dream” or “vision” which paint a picture of a thousand words.

I agree that it’s so important to focus on the outcome to understand the journey. But, I believe there is far more benefit to achieve what you truly want if it generates a feeling. Following a typical SMART goal can be sterile and meaningless, often creating a response of “never mind I tried” when you don’t achieve what you set out to do.

Let me explain what I mean, if you are one of the lucky few who achieve your “goal” then you tend to look at it and think what’s next. It doesn’t create any great sense of satisfaction; it’s just a process, a stepping stone to something else, but what?


Let me give you an example. If your “goal” was to earn a million pound, in reality it’s just numbers on a bank statement. If you now imagine what that money will buy you, things become difference. Suppose that money bought you a yacht, now how do you feel on that boat. Can you now feel the wind on your face, the smell of the sea and the sound of the gulls? You are chasing after the experience and the money becomes merely a tool to get you there.

Focus on the feeling every time and it will turbo-charged your journey into and emotionally charged challenge where failure becomes too painful for you to comprehend. 

http://www.mikebowden.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment