Thursday 18 February 2016

Emotionally what do you sell?


One business story that I was told to me many years ago has changed the way I look at the world and how I think about any business contact that I have. Whether it is true or not I’m unsure but the moral is worth hearing.

Allegedly the Parker Pen factory employed a business consultant to analyse the company and offer recommendations to help the business to become more profitable. The consultant spent a week talking to as many people as he could on all levels within the business. He watched, he studied and he wrote up his report.

On the final day he was expected to give his findings to the panel of directors. He entered the boardroom to see in front of him a long table with several stony faces staring back at him. There was obviously tension from some of the board of director’s, feeling uncomfortable with what was about to be said. It would highlight some people’s shortcomings and clearly some members where squirming in their seats.

The consultant faced the panel and said, “before I give my report can I ask you one question, what do you make?” The chairman roared at the consultant, clearly taking the comments as a person attack. The chairman said, “we have paid you a large sum of money to conduct a report on our company and you ask what we make, we make pens of course!”

The consultant remained calm and replied, “no you don’t make pens, you make presents”. Clearly the directors of the company had been so consumed by the practicalities of running a business that they forgot why the business was in existence, they have overlooked their sole purpose they were in the business of make memories.


I have had several Parker pens over the years and I can never remember buying one for myself. Every writing item from this company has come as a gift for various reasons and I’m sure that most people feel the same. This large company that everyone knows so well isn’t a stationery supplier, they are a creator of memories every time someone uses their product, their pen just happens to be the tool that gets the result.

http://www.mikebowden.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment