Thursday 25 February 2016

Blindly going where others won't

I today chatted at length to the most inspirational guy that I have ever met. This unassuming man in his late fifties could easily be passed by and go unnoticed. He sat with confident grace soaking up the atmosphere of his surroundings and I’m sure in his mind every detail was being logged firmly into his memory.

I had earlier heard a brief presentation from the man affectionately known as “Blind Dave” at an event we both attended. He gave a short but very humorous account of his new book “From Light to Dark” and I was compelled to buy a copy.

Dave Heeley is a local man that lost his sight over three decades ago, but his handicap has never held him back from achieving things beyond our wildest dreams. He is the first and only blind person in the world to have completed the ultimate endurance challenge 7 marathons in 7 days on 7 continents. He has run marathons through The Sahara Desert and cycled/ran the length of the country completing 10 marathons in 10 days, just to name a few of his amazing achievements.

By chance, we met later the same day at another event. This time I had the ultimate pleasure of chatting to him in depth, having the opportunity to ask him details of his extraordinary challenges, which he willing obliged to share his stories. This charismatic guy has unbelievable courage and commitment to everything that he attempts. I was mesmerized as he recalled in detail some of his achievements and hung on every word like a schoolboy listening to his favourite teacher.

I sincerely wish him every success for his new book which I’m sure, will ooze passion and humanity from every page. Good luck with the next challenge in June and I’ll be cheering you on all the way.

http://www.mikebowden.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment